Goalkeeper Hugo Nyame of Astres Douala will be the new lion in the den when Cameroon’s internationals meet ahead of the Africa Cup of Nations (AfCon) qualifier against Mauritius next 4 September.
He is the only player from the country’s local league in the list of 23 released by the Cameroon football Federation (FECAFOOT) on Friday.
Spain based Frank Songo’o, who impressed at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and later appeared for the senior Lions under Otto Pfister, is making a come-back. Songo’o is expected to be an extra wide player (especially on the right) as Cameroon seem to be reverting to 4-4-2.
Stephane Mbia and Nicolas Nkoulou who picked-up two yellow cards each at the World Cup will also make the trip. FECAFOOT officials say CAF has authorised them to compete.
The squad is very similar to the one Jacques Songo’o (as interim manager) led to a 3-0 victory over Poland on 11 August. Only Paul Alo’o Efoulou has been dropped.
It is widely thought that the list is Jacques Songo’o’s handiwork given that the newly appointed head coach, Javier Clemente, has still to sign a formal contract. The Spaniard is expected to put pen on paper in Yaounde on 28 August.
Here’s the complete squad:
- Guy Roland NDY ASSEMBE – FC Nantes
- Joslain MAYEBI – CD Fatima, Portugal
- Hugo NYAME – Les Astres FC Douala, Cameroun
- Benoit ASSOU EKOTTO – Tottenham Hotspur
- Sébastien BASSONG – Tottenham Hotspur
- Gaëtan BONG – Valenciennes FC
- Stéphane MBIA – Olympique Marseille
- Nicolas NKOULOU – AS Monaco
- Stéphane BIKEY AMOUGOU – Burnley FC
- Augustin Gilles BINYA – Neuchatel Xamax
- Aurélien CHEDJOU – Liile OSC
- Jean II MAKOUN – Olympique Lyonnais
- Joel MATIP – FC Schalke 04
- Georges MANDJECK – Stade Rennais
- Eyong Enoh – Ajax Amsterdam
- Henri BEDIMO – RC Lens
- Franck SONGO’O – Real Zaragoza
- Marcel NDJENG – FC Augsburg
- Jacques ZOUA – FC Basel
- Henri Bienvenu NTSAMA – BSC Young Boys
- Vincent ABOUBAKAR – Valenciennes FC
- Eric Maxim CHOUPO-MOTING – SV Hamburg
- Samuel ETO’O FILS – Inter Milan